Obtaining tefl certification is the first rung of the ladder on your climb towards a challenging and rewarding journey teaching english abroad. The internationally recognised and universally accepted qualifications that must be obtained in order to secure employment are Teaching english as a Foreign Language (tefl), also known as Teaching english to Speakers of Other Languages (tesol).
Many companies run tefl courses leading to a tefl or tesol certificate. The usefulness of these organisations and the esteem in which their certificates are held in the employment sphere inevitably varies. It is generally accepted, however, that only a small number of course providers actually provide an internationally recognised, worldwide accepted tefl qualification. We are one such organisation.
It is almost an accepted practice that english language schools and other tefl institutions worldwide have a list of standard course requirements including; a minimum duration of four weeks; external moderation and accreditation; in excess of 120 hours study time that meet internationally accepted standards. In addition, standards laid down by international organisations such as tesol in the usa and the British Council in the UK must also be met. These stipulate that tefl and tesol courses are required to contain at least six hours of observed and constructively critiqued english teaching lessons in the classroom with foreign english language students present (as opposed to fellow course members). All courses should also have proactive, constructive input from trainees, and trainee lead input seminars covering all aspects of teaching english. Such aspects should include teaching methodology, grammar and phonology. Courses should also be graded according to the performance of an individual student in the classroom and have a comprehensive end of course exam.
Once tefl certification is obtained from our organisation, our students are instantly recognisable as individuals who have attended an internationally acclaimed institution providing a course which includes a minimum of six hours of observed and constructively analysed practical teaching experience. They will have successfully undertaken and passed the various course projects and assignments and will be able to provide english teaching that is of a high standard, with a proven ability to be flexible in adapting to a foreign culture or environment. This is even more so if a student has taken our tefl course overseas.
Some organisations offer short weekend tefl or tesol courses and online tefl and tesol courses. Employers can clearly see that these programs do not offer the same features as a residential 4-week tefl course. If you choose to take a weekend or a short online tefl course, it is important to understand that a certificate from such a course will probably not get you many job offers from the more sought after english teaching destinations.
tefl certification Course ChecklistEpand
Does the course:
- Comply with the minimum required international standards for the regulation of acceptable english language teaching certification.
- Include a minimum of one hundred hours of training and input.
- Include a minimum of six hours of practical english teacher training in a class with genuine students, which is also overseen and critiqued by a qualified trainer.
- Include interactive trainee teacher sessions that cover teaching skills, classroom management, language awareness (grammar), phonology and how to apply, prepare and teach these skills effectively.
- Provide continuous assessment of trainees throughout the course, overseeing projects, assignments and practical teaching methods.
- Include an end of course comprehensive exam.
- Voluntarily have an independent professional body to moderate and check every aspect of every course.
- Meet the standards and international recognition of independent professional institutions and individuals.
- Have regular updates and content reviews to reflect changing developments in language teaching.
- Provide an internationally acclaimed certificate at the end of the course that is valued by students, teachers and employers alike.
It is a fact that ITTT is one of the few course providers that meets all of the above criteria.